Online Gaming Statistics 2012
It’s almost spring break. That means it’s finally time to take a break and hang out with friends. …online.
If you’re anything like me, many of your friends live in far away, awesome places that you’ll never be able to visit on your budget.
Ta-da! Online gaming to the rescue.
Let’s take a brief look at the stats of services that have enabled millions of gamers like us to stay in touch with friends states or countries away.
Amount of players
- 40 million Xbox Live subscribers
- 77 million registered members on Playstation Network
% of time playing on console spent online
- 33% Xbox 360
- 16% Playstation 3
- 8% for Wii
How much money do they make?
- Bloomberg estimates that Xbox Live made over $1 billion in the 2010 fiscal year.
- Xbox Live arcade titles made a combined $144 million in 2011.
- As of Sept 24, 2009 Playstation Store had 600 million downloads.
- Use of Playstation Store increased by 60% in inbetween 2010 and 2011.
- Nintendo eShop is the newest of the services but has earned $11 million in its first 7 months.
Xbox 360 games played most often online 2011
Shooters with a pepper of sports
- Call of Duty: Black Ops
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- Halo: Reach
- Battlefield 3
- Gears of War 3
- FIFA 12
- FIFA Soccer 11
- Madden NFL 12
- Grand Theft Auto IV
Be sure to hang out your friends in the top virtual playgrounds. If you ever get bored on Xbox Live look up Hu1k Logan. (That’s me!)
Information from Wikipedia.org and complied statistics from Factbrowser.com